Monday, October 5, 2009

"I get these ideas (like a shirt that says 'loser' or 'talk to the hand')" - Jack Black (Orange County)




If you know me, you know that I always come up with ridiculous ideas that might be popular and fun, but are usually pretty silly. I never actually do anything about them, and eventually someone else comes up with it and makes money off of it.






When I moved to LA in 2003, I was working as a temp, and a co-worker and I came up with the idea for a show. It would be like The Office (only the British version was out then), except a real reality show. Temps would go through a series of tests, obstacles, interviews, etc - competing for a good paying job at a television studio. We wrote a treatment and everything, and sent it to the Writer Guild for copyright. Wouldn't you know it, The Apprentice came out a couple months later. You're fired!





I gave BiddingBride.com an honest effort, and still have that site up and running - I just don't do anything to promote it (I really should).


Then there are silly ideas, like my Spice Girl pool find. When we lived in Encino, we had a pool, and had parties all the time. We also lived right near the 99 Cent store. We needed a pool game to play, and I had my heart set on buying 5 sets of Spice Girl action figures. I wanted to throw them all in the pool, and five people would have to dive to the bottom and find one of each. The first person with a complete set of Spice Girls wins. I'm sorry, but I still want to play that game. Guy talked me out of it. Bastard :)



He has agreed to my "We Are The World" Recording Party though, so I'm pumped about that. Every person has to pick a part out of a hat. Throughout the party, people have to go into the studio and sing their part over a karaoke track. A few days later, all participants receive an MP3 of our wonderful rendition of We Are The World. Now, that's a keepsake to cherish forever.





Most recently, I've been coming up with ideas for the Electro craze. How about Electrapella?
Yup, acapella electro. Suddenly choirs are cool, right? Um...riiiiight?! A nice electrapella number would be great for that show GLEE.

The one I came up with yesterday is pretty hilarious: Elektrobicz (the K should be backwards or something). It's an exercise dance class held in the dark with awesome lighting (yeah, lasers and glowsticks and shiz) - a DJ spins and there's some raver leader of the class teaching us sweet moves. A good way to catch up on your music and exercise. Someone get Dim Mak on the phone.

No comments: