Tuesday, November 8, 2016

Election Day 2016


Timehop to 8 years ago, a best friend and I were driving around Los Angeles listening to election coverage on the radio. I was childless, 40 pounds lighter, and about to make a big move to Nashville. 

When Obama was declared the winner, my heart was full of hope as I watched people celebrate in swanky clubs and gather quietly around bar televisions while America’s first black president spoke.
The streets were quiet and empty…unlike anything I had ever seen in that huge city.

I remember feeling a little bit of fear also. I knew that many cities weren’t like Los Angeles, not everyone was celebrating. Some people were very angry. I was scared that something would happen to our new leader, setting us further back than where we started.

Despite my fear, I remember telling my friend that I welcomed the change of moving to Nashville. I felt like I had been living in a “dream world” where everyone was living life in the clouds. I wanted to hear accents, deal with impatient people, and see “real life” again.

I think my friend was kind of offended…what’s wrong with living in this sunny society? Nothing at all, I loved it. I just grew up in Massachusetts and missed “the edge.”

I have to tell you, after the past year…I am so sick of “the edge.”

This election combined with the ability to shoot off your opinions to everyone via Facebook has made me question if I really want to be friends with some great people.

To put it into perspective (kind of), someone once told me that I was being judged because I love Pop music. A certain person saw it as a character flaw and couldn’t connect with me or take me seriously. I thought it was so ridiculous, but the struggle is real.

Now, I kind of understand. Seeing people that I truly love supporting someone that will set America’s mentality back years upon years upon years, someone that’s greedy, conceited, close-minded, and hurtful over someone with compassion, patience, and experience…I see that as a character flaw.

But, this isn’t a poor choice in music taste; it’s the Country my son will grow up in.

When all is said and done, I will channel my inner-Angeleno, and pretend I didn’t see your posts. The good always outweighs the bad, and nothing I say or do will change a person’s mind anyway.

However, it will always be in the back of my mind, which makes me sad...

....but, when I'm sad, I listen to Pop music!  : )