Thursday, December 31, 2009

2010? Wowserooni!

It's 4:00 AM on New Year's Eve, and Guy and I are up. Guy's up because of the pesky raindrops tapping on the window, and I'm up because I went to bed too early. So here I am - blogging away about 2009. Consider this our "Christmas Letter."

The year had a crazy start. After living in two different cities for 6 months of our married life, I could finally move from LA to Nashville and be with Guy. Why did we separate? I thought I had a touring gig as a backup singer, but that ending up being a bust, and Guy wanted to start working with his band Harlott (based in Nashville).

Everything worked out though. I had my cousins and JQ to keep me company, and I started hanging out with Lorn and Bryan from YouTellConcerts.com. Those guys took me under their wings and let me be a part of their brilliant idea - a video concert review site where the fans give the review.

Before leaving to Nashville, the guys asked if I'd be interested in being the Nashville correspondent. I agreed, and it has been the best past time ever. Nashville has been great to me. I've met a lot of great people, seen some killer shows, and I have a lot of journalist experience under my belt now. Many sites have posted our videos, and I think 2010 is going to be YTC's year.

I've also started helping out with editing artist interview videos for one of Premiere's shows, "Aftermidnite." My new friend Robin and her "Entourage" have been so helpful. They welcomed Guy and I in with open arms and have shown us how this fair city works.

Now for the real fun stuff! Harlott! Guy's band is doing great. They've played in some of the more popular clubs and bars in Nashville(Mercy Lounge, Exit/In, Springwater), and they've even toured a bit (Arkansas, North Carolina). They were a big hit at Farm Jam 2009. :) They recorded their album at the famous Blackbird Studios owned by Martina McBride and her husband (thanks to our friend Leland). So 2010 brings the album and, hopefully, more touring.

Of course, things can't be perfect, and the worst thing that has ever happened to me happened this year. My dad was diagnosed with Pancreatic Cancer. I can't tell you how painful it is to get that news. Life just stops and there's nothing you can do, but pray and hope. Suddenly, all the success doesn't matter anymore - only family and friends (those you love).

But no more "sad trombones" (as Masa would say), all the prayers are working. Dad is responding to the chemo, and it's killing those cancer cells. Dad looks great and is active. It's been great spending more time with them this year. We live 10 hours away, so I've seen them every break I get.

My work has been supportive in letting me work from their house when I can. I love my job and my coworkers. I feel very blessed.

My cousin, Emily, had a beautiful baby boy, Marcus, this year. Guy and I got a gorgeous niece as well. Jami, Dru and Brody added Tessa to the family. We got to meet Tessa in October. We went to Nebraska. I saw my first Nebraska game. Nebraska lost, but it was still fun. Well, despite the raging hangover caused by a night of espresso vodka shots with Guy's friends. YIKES! :)

Speaking of hangovers, we are going to a big party New Year's Eve party with fake snowfall, huge video screens, and DJs. I haven't had a drink in a while, so I'll be a cheap date :) Yeah, I'll let you know how that goes.

Wishing you all a blessed, happy, healthy new year!

XOXO,
*Chrystal

No comments: