Friday, September 11, 2009

8 years...




I went to bed really early last night, and am now up at 3:00 AM, just thinking - waiting for time to pass or morning to come. Then, I realized - it's 9-11-09. Actually, time is racing by. Eight years.

Eight years ago, I was eating breakfast in Nahant, Massachusetts, across the water from Logan Airport with one of my roommates at the time. That's when I found out about the first plane. It was on the way home, listening to the radio when the second plane hit. The announcers were clearly watching the news, describing what they were seeing. It truly struck me when I heard a male host's voice change, where I could tell he was on the verge of tears.

We got back to the house, and watched the footage in silence. The mailman was walking the street, making his deliveries, and we invited him in. There was a sense of unity, even though we were all broken.

I called home, and talked to my mom who was shocked, yet calm. She told me to just have faith and pray. Really that's all we could do. As facts came in, the guys I lived with were pissed and wanted to enlist.

It was a horrible day. Eventually, I was emotionally drained, and made my way to bed to sleep it off. Isn't that the best escape?

The next morning, it was so quiet. The skies were still, but it was a beautiful day. People drove a little slower, and looked each other in the eye in passing. Subtly trying to comfort each other. I was sad and mad at what happened, but yet thankful for my country. It's easy to say you know how lucky you are, but when someone tries to take away your happiness, then, it's all made very clear.

I wish it never happened, but I believe we all did the best that we could individually with the situation. I didn't give them a victory. In the long run, they didn't scare me. I took it, and turned it into something that made me stronger, and I think a lot Americans did the same.

I'm going to try to go back to bed now, and I'll say my prayers, not only for my family, but for everyone who lost their life in this tragedy (and its repercussions) and their families. I'll pray that it never happens again, and to continue to make us better humans - loving, peaceful, happy, and healthy.

Stay Blessed.

No comments: